Team Manager Post Entry Quarantine and Botany | Auckland
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Position Description.pdf (PDF, 272KB)
|Application Close Date:||28-Jul-2017|
The Ministry for Primary Industries' Plant Health and Environment Laboratory (PHEL) in Auckland has an opportunity for an experienced manger to lead a team of six. In this role you would work closely with Team Managers of Entomology, Mycology and Bacteriology and Virology. Your responsibilities would include the managing the provision of a post-entry quarantine service (PEQ) for MPI's level 3B glasshouse and tissue culture facilities.
The PHEL is the national reference centre for the identification of all suspected exotic, new and emerging pests and diseases of plants, and arthropod pests affecting the environment and also provides diagnostic services to primary industries to facilitate trade. The PHEL is accredited to ISO 17025. The use of a quality assurance system is an integral part of our operations. In addition, PHEL provides a high security PEQ service for New Zealand's primary crops under the MPI PEQ for plants standard.
Our team is dedicated, diverse and highly supportive and operates in a busy and varied environment to deliver our core work programme supporting New Zealand's biosecurity system. This role will offer you the variety and the challenge to develop and enhance your scientific leadership skills, whilst driving innovation that will shape our future way of working.
In this role some of the key focus areas will be:
- Continually evaluate emerging biosecurity and reputational risks affecting the post entry quarantine (PEQ) service and act to address gaps and weaknesses in order to improve capability in these areas.
- Ensure robust processes and relevant documentation are in place across the facility to maximise working efficiencies; implement any changes required to improve efficiencies.
- Manage the operational and maintenance plans to ensure the facility is complying with PEQ Standard
- Build and sustain strong positive working relationships with MPI staff, key PEQ customers and stakeholders, other government agencies, interest groups, sector organisations, national and international counterpart organisations.
- Provide technical advice in complex situations to other MPI staff. Draw conclusions and make recommendations based on scientific knowledge and experience.
- Function Management – develop business plans for PEQ which supports the PHEL and directorate business plans.
- Efficiently and effectively manage team resources by adhering to organisational policies and procedures, e.g. financial management, recruitment and selection, health and safety; ensure that resources are responsive and adaptive to changing priorities.
We are seeking highly motivated individuals with a PhD or equivalent qualification (post-graduate degree and relevant technical experience) and relevant experience working in plant pathology or horticulture. The person should also have proven track record of team management and demonstrating strong leadership skills
To be successful in this position you would need to utilise your proven skills in scientific and administrative management. You must also be able to demonstrate knowledge of post entry quarantine programmes and processes, diagnostics, quality systems, health and safety, as well as advanced skills in project and relationship management.
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click “APPLY NOW”. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Carly Birse, Senior Recruitment Adviser for a confidential discussion at email@example.com
Applications for this role will not be accepted after 5 pm on 28 July 2017