Policy Analyst - Sectors Strategic Policy | Wellington City
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| P&T_Senior Policy Analyst and Policy Analyst_May 2014.pdf (PDF, 171KB)
|Application Close Date:||03-Sep-2017|
- Are you a thought leader?
- Are you ready to hit the ground running?
- Join MPI's Sectors Strategic Policy team and help drive sustainable growth for New Zealand
The Ministry for Primary Industries is responsible for enhancing New Zealand's primary production sectors, safeguarding our resources and animal welfare, and securing market access for our products. Our work is essential to building and maintaining New Zealand's reputation as a producer of safe and high quality food and other primary products.
Within MPI's Policy and Trade branch, Sector Policy is responsible for the legislative and regulatory settings to enable primary industries by balancing cooperation and competition. Sector Policy also works on economic, consumer market and cross-sector strategic issues to support MPI's strategic goal of sustainably growing the value of New Zealand's primary sector exports.
About our team
Our team, Sectors Strategic Policy, works on both consumer market intelligence and strategic issues. Our team members are collaborative, engaged and success-driven who like a challenge and are able to work with stakeholders in both government and industry.
We have a broad remit from the farm to the fork, and across multiple industries and products. The team provides thought leadership on a range of cross-sector issues, with a particular focus on export success and improving the connections between changing consumer demands and New Zealand's production base. The kinds of questions we grapple with include:
- What risks and opportunities are created by growing international consumer demand for detailed information on how food is produced, and who should this kind of information come from?
- What foods should New Zealand produce to benefit from changing dietary trends in newly developed countries?
- How can technology improve production to reduce cost, waste and environmental impact?
- How does online selling of fresh food change the way supply chains are managed?
What we are looking for
We need a smart and enthusiastic policy analyst who is able to contribute to our work on complex strategic policy issues.
To be successful in this role you need:
- Ability to identify, articulate and clearly communicate core elements of an issue or proposal, ideally during from both quantitative and qualitative skillsets;
- Broad perspective and ability to make creative and informed connections between commercial, environmental and social issues;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to effectively engage and collaborate with a wide range of people;
- Understanding of government policy processes; and
- Ability to manage your effort to deliver work to a high standard and on time, both independently and with the support of others.
If you like to be busy, have good judgement, show initiative and come from a strategy, policy, market research or other similar background we want to hear from you.
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click on “APPLY NOW” in order to be directed to our website.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Emma Gowans, Senior Recruitment Adviser on 04 894 0331 or email@example.com.
Applications close: 3 September 2017