Incursion Investigator (Marine) | Wellington - Upper Hutt
|Position Type:||Fixed Term Full Time|
|Attachments:|| MPI - Incursion Investigator Marine JD Sept 2017.docx (Word, 168KB)
|Application Close Date:||26-Nov-2017|
The Aquatic and Environment Health Team (Biosecurity Surveillance and Incursion Investigation) is looking for a marine biology/science graduate with post-graduate qualifications or equivalent science-based experience in pest or disease management, ecology, epidemiology or biosecurity to join our team as an Incursion Investigator.
This is a fixed term/secondment opportunity until March 2019 (with scope for extension).
The Incursion Investigation function is positioned within the Diagnostics and Surveillance Services Directorate within the Operations Branch of MPI. Incursion Investigation underpins decisions on any further action to be taken to reports of suspected new to New Zealand pests and diseases that are reported to MPI.
The successful candidate will join a multidisciplinary group of scientific professionals with varying backgrounds, who all share a passion for biosecurity, surveillance and technical excellence.
This is an excellent opportunity to gain front line biosecurity experience.
- Receive and manage reports of suspect pests and diseases, ensure identification, and undertake risk assessments and prioritisation in accordance with procedures.
- Plan and conduct investigations including risk assessment, options analysis, field activities and urgent measures to contain and control in accordance with procedures.
- Conduct investigation reporting, ensuring that information is accurate and timely.
- Where further action by MPI is required, prepare response operational specifications as directed. These may include Surveillance, Movement Control and Organism Management, and will be prepared in accordance with response procedures and agreed timeframes.
Our ideal candidate will have;
- Experience in marine ecology, population dynamics and dispersal mechanisms for invasive species.
- Knowledge of biosecurity, pest or disease management or epidemiology (especially relating to aquatic animal diseases) is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated project management skills, and the ability to plan, implement specific operations and give clear instructions.
- Familiarity with aquaculture, or freshwater/marine production systems would also be viewed favourably.
You will be a team player with excellent communication skills, motivation, initiative, and sound judgment with an ability to think outside of the square. You will also have the ability to work under time and political pressure.
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click “APPLY NOW”. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
If you have any questions about the role, contact Kathryn Scrimgeour, Senior Recruitment Adviser for a confidential discussion on email@example.com.
Applications for this role close Sunday 26 November 2017.