Senior GIS Analyst | Wellington City
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| PD - Senior GIS Analyst .docx (Word, 189KB)
|Application Close Date:||14-Jan-2018|
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Senior GIS Analyst in our Spatial Intelligence team. The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has an established GIS Centre of Excellence for marine and terrestrial spatial analysis to support decision making across the Ministry.
This is your chance to join a focussed team dedicated to informing decision making for a wide variety of areas including land use, biosecurity responses, food safety, fisheries management and marine reserves, and animal welfare issues. As a key member of the Spatial Intelligence team, you will have the opportunity to be involved in projects and responses of national significance making a real difference to New Zealand, focussing on supporting spatial analysis of land use across the Ministry.
Key responsibilities for these roles include, but are not limited to:
- Undertake advanced GIS analysis by applying a high degree of independent initiative, critical thinking and problem solving and producing high quality reports, analysis and cartographics highlighting trends and associated GIS aspects.
- Mentor GIS Analysts and provide intellectual leadership in GIS matters to support the GIS Team Leader.
- Lead the development and analysis of spatially related projects for the benefit of the Ministry.
- Provide analysis of geospatial data, interpretation of geospatial imagery and quality assurance capability for Ministry applications and processes.
- Provide statistical, scripting, and transformation processing to best meet the Ministry's information needs using appropriate technologies and tools.
- Provide support and training in relevant GIS disciplines, and related technologies.
- Be able to build and sustain positive working relationships with relevant internal and external stakeholder groups (government and private sector).
- Work as an important part of the engagement model to help business customers understand GIS services and explore opportunities to improve services to our customers.
- Become competent in the geospatial aspects of Ministry initiatives, legislative requirements and business as usual activities.
To be successful in this role you should have:
- The capability to use the ESRI suite of software, including ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, ArcSDE, and ArcGIS Server;
- The capability to use associated software tools including Python, R, SQL, and FME;
- The capability to lead projects, technically mentor junior staff, and influence and inform various stakeholders.
- The ability to complete assigned work to time and quality expectations;
- The ability to interpret legislation and regulation to create spatial data;
- The ability to gather, organise, and communicate information from numerous sources to inform decision making;
- The ability to identify and communicate risks, issues, options and potential solutions;
- The ability to carry out independent thinking and decision making using prescribed frameworks and rulesets.
To view the position descriptions and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click “APPLY NOW” in order to be directed to our website. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
If you have any questions about the role, you may contact Nick Goddard for a confidential discussion at firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to be considered for this role, applicants must be immediately available for an interview within New Zealand and either hold or be eligible to gain a current New Zealand work permit or be a New Zealand resident.
Applications for this role close Sunday 14 January 2018