Principal Adviser Sectors Strategic Policy | Wellington City
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Principal Adviser JD.docx (Word, 143KB)
|Application Close Date:||23-Mar-2018|
- Are you a thought leader?
- Are you ready to hit the ground running?
- Join MPI's Sectors Strategic Policy team and help drive sustainable growth for New Zealand
The Ministry for Primary Industries is responsible for enhancing New Zealand's primary production sectors, safeguarding our resources and animal welfare, and securing market access for our products. Our work is essential to building and maintaining New Zealand's reputation as a producer of safe and high quality food and other primary products.
Within MPI's Policy and Trade branch, Sector Policy is responsible for the legislative and regulatory settings that help primary industries to function well as industries by getting the right balance between cooperation and competition. Sector Policy also works on economic, consumer market and cross-sector strategic issues to support MPI's strategic goal of sustainably growing the value of New Zealand's primary sector exports.
About our team
Our team, Sectors Strategic Policy, works on both consumer market intelligence and strategic issues. Our team members are smart, confident people who like a challenge and are able to work with stakeholders in both government and industry.
One of the exciting aspects of our team is that we have a broad perspective from the farm to the fork, and across multiple industries and products. The team provides thought leadership on a range of cross-sector issues, with a particular focus on export success and improving the connections between changing consumer demands and New Zealand's production base. The kinds of questions we grapple with include:
- What risks and opportunities are created by growing international consumer demand for detailed information on how food is produced, and who should this kind of information come from?
- What foods should New Zealand produce to benefit from changing diets in newly developed countries?
- How can technology improve production to reduce cost, waste and environmental impact?
- How does online selling of fresh food change the way supply chains are managed?
- How can the government support the primary sector to develop and implement strategies that have sustainability at their heart?
What we are looking for
We need an experienced principal adviser who is skilled in navigating complex issues, leading policy or strategic projects, and engaging with a range of stakeholders.
To be successful in this role you need:
- Very strong analytical ability and a capacity to quickly identify and clearly express core elements of an issue or proposal;
- Ability to take an idea, shape it into a project or proposal and drive delivery;
- Ability to influence and persuade, using a variety of techniques;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively engage with a wide range of persons with interest and involvement in the primary sector;
If you like to be busy, have good judgement, show initiative and come from a strategy, policy, market research or other similar background we want to hear from you.
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click on “APPLY NOW” in order to be directed to our website.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Matt Brown, Senior Recruitment Adviser on 04 894 0258 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close: 23 March 2018