Director Animal Health & Welfare | Wellington City
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| PD L3 Director Animal Health Welfare April 2018 Final.docx (Word, 80KB)
|Application Close Date:||06-May-2018|
- Are you an experienced and strategic leader who excels in stakeholder management, influencing and continuous delivery of high standards through continual improvement?
- Do you have significant veterinary experience and an established reputation as a veterinary expert?
- Do you have experience and up-to-date knowledge current trends in the international and domestic regulatory environments, particularly for animals and animal products?
The Ministry for Primary Industries has an exciting level three opportunity as Director Animal Health & Welfare. This role has significant responsibility for providing a focal point and being a public face for animal health (including veterinary) and welfare expertise in MPI as well as providing a view for MPI's Senior Leadership Team. This role will be key in representing New Zealand's interests both domestically and internationally.
The Director is responsible for leading new, responsive and effective ways of developing and implementing regulatory and non-regulatory interventions. We are looking for an individual who can bring a targeted strategic approach that is innovative and forward thinking.
In this role it will be important you have the ability to take an innovative and strategic approach to leadership and thinking across the scope of MPI's veterinary and animal welfare responsibilities. You will be required to provide governance input to and leadership of animal-related issues, including animal biosecurity responses
To be successful you will need to demonstrate a wide variety of skills and experience including excellent stakeholder management, proven financial acumen and people leadership.
Key Skills / Educational Requirements:
- A veterinary qualification, registerable in New Zealand
- Experience in senior management roles
- People management and leadership (particularly technical staff)
- Knowledge of trade in animals and animal products
- Significant veterinary experience or has established reputation as a veterinary expert.
- Extensive stakeholder management across a range of internal and external stakeholder groups
- The ability to come up with new and effective ways of doing things
- Proven financial management skills
- Strong communications experience, including presenting, media engagement and strategic vision
- You must be able to effectively articulate a clear strategic vision to a variety of stakeholders, including customers and staff
Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) is responsible for ‘Growing and Protecting New Zealand'. It's no mean feat and we have a team of hard working and dedicated people in a variety of roles supporting us to make this happen! MPI also provides a range of services to ensure New Zealand is protected from biological risk and that the food New Zealand businesses produce is safe and suitable for us all to consume. MPI's services ensure that New Zealand's natural resources are sustainable while enabling the primary sector to innovate and grow the value of its exports. Our overall ambition is for New Zealand to be the most trusted source of high value natural products in the world. Join us to help this ambition become a reality.
To find out more about the Ministry and what we do please click here
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click “APPLY NOW” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
The successful applicant must be able to obtain the relevant security clearance. Please visit http://www.mpi.govt.nz/about-mpi/careers/apply/security-clearance for more information.
In order to be considered for this role, applicants must be available to interview within New Zealand or via Skype.
If you have any questions about the role, you may contact Nick Goddard for a confidential discussion on 04 894 0908 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for this role close on Sunday 6th of May
The Ministry for Primary Industries is a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone's differences are valued and respected. We welcome enquires from everyone and value diversity in the workplace and we are willing to consider flexible working arrangements. MPI is an employer of choice.