Senior Solicitor | Wellington City
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Solicitor Senior - Solicitor August 2014.pdf (PDF, 470KB)
|Application Close Date:||27-May-2018|
Are you looking for an opportunity to contribute to the growth and protection of New Zealand's primary industries by providing legal advice within the large and dynamic organisation that is the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI)?
The primary sector is critical to New Zealand's growth and prosperity. MPI's ambition is to ensure that New Zealand is the most trusted source of high value natural products in the world. MPI works with primary industries and other government agencies across a range of areas, including agricultural, fisheries, trade, food, and biosecurity issues.
The MPI Legal Legislation team is looking for a Senior Solicitor. MPI Solicitors are responsible for providing high quality, timely and practical legal advice. They are expected to develop technical excellence in a variety of areas of primary industries law and confidently assess and manage legal risk.
The Legislation team supports the development of legislation (including secondary and tertiary legislation) across the Policy & Trade and the Regulation & Assurance branches of MPI. Projects typically raise a diverse range of issues, including statutory decision-making, economic policy, and compliance and enforcement tools.
More generally the Legal directorate covers a wide range of interesting work including commercial arrangements, operational advice, involvement in responses in food, trade and biosecurity, prosecutions and training.
MPI is committed to recruiting, recognising and creating opportunities for talented people to develop career paths within the organisation and beyond.
- Relevant tertiary qualification in law and a current practising certificate, or the ability to hold one
- Minimum of five years' experience in public or commercial law
- Good attention to detail and drafting skills
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships
- Can-do attitude with proven track record in delivery of legal advice
- Clear judgement and an ability to recognise and understand the implications of advice
- Good communication skills
- Knowledge of legislation administered by the Ministry
- Experience in regulatory development
- Sound knowledge of public law and Parliamentary and Cabinet processes
To find out more about the Ministry and what we do please click here
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click “APPLY NOW” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
For detailed information on this role please refer to the position description or contact Koren.Wilkinson@mpi.govt.nz
Applications close 27 May 2018.