Deputy Director General, Strategy, Performance and Engagement | Wellington City
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| DDG Strategy Performance and Engagement PD.docx (Word, 68KB)
|Application Close Date:||27-May-2018|
Growing New Zealand's economy depends upon the success of our primary sectors. With over 2,500 staff, the Ministry for Primary Industries' (MPI) purpose is to Grow and Protect New Zealand. Our ambition is that New Zealand is the most trusted source of high value natural products in the world. We work to achieve protection, growth, sustainability and participation. The Ministry's activities cover 25 locations nationwide and 13 overseas locations.
This critical position at the leadership table brings together the complex functions that ensure MPI remains successful, accountable and responsive from both an operational and strategic perspective. This group sets the strategy for MPI and the key processes required to turn strategy into a reality. It also supports MPI to understand and improve its performance, the delivery of its outcomes, and the way we manage risk. Engaging the hearts and minds of those both within MPI and our many stakeholders is also critical to this role, requiring a collaborative and influential leader at the helm.
Overseeing a branch of 160 people nationally, this role has both breadth and depth and incorporates management of Communications, Engagement & Channels, Strategy, Legal, Assurance & Evaluation and Ministerials & Business Support.
As the successful appointee and key Adviser to the Director General, you will ensure the connection of the leadership team to Ministry's strategy. As a both a visionary and pragmatist you will lead high level engagement and collaboration across MPI, by demonstrating:
- An in-depth understanding and experience of the machinery of government;
- Relevant strategic senior leadership experience within the public or private sector;
- Experience managing large and diverse teams of varied expertise;
- Proven ability in succeeding despite ambiguity;
- Strong relationship management and communication skills;
- Proven political nous and track record of leading engagement with Ministers and/or other equivalent stakeholders;
- A finely tuned risk radar, and evidence of the application of sound judgement and advice despite adversity;
- Expertise in large scale organisational design, supported by a background in strategy, performance, policy or risk.
Connecting strategy and operational success requires a strong and effective leader. Join us at this crucial time to support MPI as it evolves under new leadership.
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click “APPLY NOW” in order to be directed to our website. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
For a confidential discussion please contact Meredith Edwards, Manager Recruitment & Sourcing on 04 830 1526 or at Meredith.Edwards@mpi.govt.nz.
Applications close: Sunday 27th May