Molecular Plant Pathologist | Auckland
|Position Type:||Fixed Term Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Scientist and Senior Scientist PD.pdf (PDF, 333KB)
|Application Close Date:||29-Jun-2018|
Molecular Plant Pathologists
2 year fixed-term contracts
Developing PCR tests for Forestry and Horticultural Pests & Real-time PCR for Detection of Plant Pathogens on Germplasm Imports
The Ministry for Primary Industries' Plant Health and Environment Laboratory in Auckland has fixed-term vacancies (24 months) for a Molecular Plant Pathologist to validate and develop or improve real-time PCR diagnostic protocols for the rapid and robust identification of one insect and five emerging plant pathogens. The development of these real-time PCR assays will be customized to ensure they fit with our current laboratory processes for high-throughput detection for response readiness and facilitate the clearance of imported high value plant germplasm.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- PhD or post graduate qualification;
- Several years' experience in the field of plant pathology or microbiology and molecular biology, ideally with diagnostic experience in plant mycology or bacteriology;
- An advanced technical knowledge of laboratory and diagnostic methods (i.e. skills in development and validation of molecular assays, particularly primer design and real-time PCR assays);
- Attention to detail and the ability to work well within a team to achieve excellent results;
- Proven project and time management skills;
- Ability to form relationships and collaborations with external stakeholders; and
- Excellent communication skills, initiative, and sound judgement.
Preference will be given to applicants with proven planning and organisational skills, who are outcome focused, and have experience working within a containment laboratory and quality environment, e.g. ISO 17025.
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click “APPLY NOW” in order to be directed to our website. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
For further technical information about the position including remuneration, contact Brett Alexander on 09 909 5724, email: email@example.com.
Applications for this role will close at 5 pm on 29 June 2018.