Manager, Plant Germplasm | Wellington City
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| PD Manager Plant Germplasm July 2018.docx (Word, 87KB)
|Application Close Date:||24-Jul-2018|
We have an exciting and technically challenging opportunity to join our Management team within the Plants and Pathways Directorate.
This role is responsible for managing the development and review of import health standards (IHSs), and import systems for propagative plant material;
- ensuring the measures contained in the IHSs effectively manage biosecurity risks;
- ensuring that exporting country systems are being appropriately applied to manage biosecurity risks to New Zealand;
- ensuring that risks alerted to Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) via the emerging risk system for plant propagative material are being assessed and managed in a timely way.
Imported propagative plant material presents some of the highest risk for New Zealand biosecurity. However new plant germplasm is essential to the development of new and improved plant varieties that support our horticulture and agriculture export industries.
The Manager Plant Germplasm works in the Plant Imports Group, and has responsibility for a team of technical specialists. As Manager, you will need to be able to manage the team effectively to maximise the technical learning and development within the team. The role will contribute effectively in the international environment and be recognised as an expert in the area of biosecurity risk management, establishing cooperative relationships with export authorities in trading partners to ensure that their export systems effectively manage the biosecurity risks associated with plant germplasm.
To be successful in this role you will have the following skills, experience and attributes:
- Strategic management skills
- Excellent relationship management skills
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Well-developed technical skills in a plant related discipline such as plant pathology or entomology
- Knowledge and experience in New Zealand's Biosecurity System
- Experience in managing an operational department in a complex technical area.
- Knowledge of international agreements and standards for phytosanitary measures
- Experience in managing relationships and consultation with an assortment of external stakeholders (including involvement at an International level). Ability to manage domestic and international stakeholders effectively
- Coaching and mentoring existing team and new staff members
This is your opportunity to join a team which is involved in growing and protecting New Zealand, by maximising export opportunities for the primary industries and protecting New Zealand from biological risk.
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click “APPLY NOW” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
In order to be considered for this role, applicants must be available to interview within New Zealand or via Skype.
If you have any questions about the role, you may contact Nick Goddard for a confidential discussion on 04 894 0908 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for this role close on Tuesday 24 July 2018
The Ministry for Primary Industries is a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone's differences are valued and respected. We welcome enquires from everyone and value diversity in the workplace and we are willing to consider flexible working arrangements. MPI is an employer of choice.