Director Science & Risk Assessment | Wellington City
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| PD Director Science and Risk Assessment September 2018.doc (Word, 362KB)
|Application Close Date:||04-Nov-2018|
- Are you an internationally recognised leader in your field of Science?
- Are you an experienced and strategic leader who excels in stakeholder management and influencing?
- Do you have significant experience in application of risk assessment in food safety or animal health or plant health?
The Ministry for Primary Industries has an exciting level three opportunity as Director Science & Risk Assessment. MPI prides itself on being a science-based organisation and the provision of timely and fit-for-purpose science advice for a wide range of MPI activities is an essential function. The Director Science & Risk Assessment has a key role in providing such advice, especially in regards to innovative and fit for purpose risk assessments that support setting of standards and other regulatory decisions.
The Director manages the largest centre of food safety and biosecurity scientific regulatory capability in New Zealand. In doing so the Director must continually strive to maintain high availability of specialist skills and ensure that the science work programme is innovative, targeted and cost-effective.
You will have the ability to take an innovative and strategic approach to leadership, science decisions and utilisation of science capability within MPI in relation to food safety, biosecurity and animal welfare.
To be successful you will need to demonstrate a wide variety of skills and experience including excellent stakeholder management, proven financial acumen and people leadership.
Key Skills / Educational Requirements:
- Established international reputation as an expert in risk analysis for food safety or animal health or plant health
- Experience in senior management, including people management (technical staff))
- Record of scientific publications that establishing international credibility as a science leader
- Up-to-date and extensive knowledge of regulatory science and international trends covering food safety and/or animal health and/or public health
- Extensive stakeholder management across a range of internal and external stakeholder groups
- The ability to come up with new and effective ways of doing things
- Proven financial management skills
- Strong communications experience, including presenting, media engagement and articulating a clear strategic vision
Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) is responsible for ‘Growing and Protecting New Zealand'. It's no mean feat and we have a team of hard working and dedicated people making this happen! MPI ensures New Zealand is protected from biological risk and that the food New Zealand businesses produce is safe and suitable for our onshore on offshore customers to consume. MPI also ensures that New Zealand's natural resources are sustainable while enabling the primary sector to innovate and grow the value of its exports. Our overall ambition is for New Zealand to be the most trusted source of high value natural products in the world.
To find out more about the Ministry and what we do please click here
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click “APPLY NOW” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
The successful applicant must be able to obtain the relevant security clearance. Please visit http://www.mpi.govt.nz/about-mpi/careers/apply/security-clearance for more information.
In order to be considered for this role, applicants must be available to interview within New Zealand or via Skype if based offshore.
If you have any questions about the role, you may contact Nick Goddard for a confidential discussion on 04 894 0908 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for this role close on Sunday 4 November 2018
MPI is an equal opportunity employer and committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to New Zealand. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career. We actively encourage applications from any background.