Director - Mycoplasma Bovis - Fixed Term 2 years | Wellington City
|Position Type:||Fixed Term Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Director M. bovis.pdf (PDF, 256KB)
|Application Close Date:||30-Sep-2018|
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) provides a range of services to ensure New Zealand is protected from biological risk, the food New Zealand businesses produce is safe and suitable for us all to consume and our natural resources are sustainable!
In July 2017, the bacterial infection Mycoplasma Bovis was found in cattle in the Oamaru area of the South Island. With the support of farmers, industry bodies and local communities, MPI is working hard to locate the disease, contain it and eradicate it from New Zealand.
We are establishing a new directorate specifically to support M.Bovis. The purpose of this is to sustain the intensity of work over a longer term and allow the response to transition to a core service delivery model that can be managed in a sustainable way.
In the newly created fixed term role of Director you will maintain executive oversight, set strategic direction and manage the strategic risks across the M.Bovis stream of work. The Director has overall accountability for the management of the programme, including special funding arrangements and the delivery of agreed programme objectives. Engaging the hearts and minds of those both within MPI and our many stakeholders is critical to the success of this role and it requires a collaborative and influential leader at the helm.
As the successful appointee you will ensure connection across the leadership team, and lead high level engagement and collaboration by demonstrating:
- Experienced operating as a senior leader in a complex environment
- Successful leadership of strategically important and challenging cross-organisation initiatives
- Proven political nous and track record of leading engagement with Ministers and/or other equivalent stakeholders, and the media
- A finely tuned risk radar, evidence of the application of sound judgement and advice despite adversity
- Experience effectively managing large and diverse teams of varied expertise
- An in-depth understanding of the mechanics of government
- Successful experience in the development and implementation of readiness, response, recovery leadership strategies and management functions
- Knowledge and understanding of New Zealand's national security framework, including domestic and international dimensions of biosecurity, trade, food safety, or other sectors or disciplines relevant to Ministry for Primary Industries' responsibilities
Connecting strategy and operational success requires a strong and effective leader. Join us at this crucial time to support MPI as it evolves under new leadership.
At MPI we are open to requests for flexible working on hiring. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need and we will explore what's possible for the role.
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click “APPLY NOW” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
For a confidential discussion please contact Hana Zawodny, Lead Recruitment M.bovis on 04 830 1534 or email email@example.com
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
The successful applicant must be able to obtain the relevant security clearance. Please visit http://www.mpi.govt.nz/about-mpi/careers/apply/security-clearance for more information.
Application for this role close on Sunday, 30th September 2018.
MPI is an equal opportunity employer and committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to New Zealand. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career. We actively encourage applications from any background.