Developer | Wellington City
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Developer Dev Ops JD.pdf (PDF, 643KB)
|Application Close Date:||20-Feb-2019|
Developer – Permanent Full Time based in Wellington
- Works across a range of high profile of MPI's priority projects
- Work in an agile and collaborative team environment
Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) is responsible for ‘Growing and Protecting New Zealand'. It's no mean feat and we have a team of hard working and dedicated people in a variety of roles supporting us to make this happen. Our overall ambition is for New Zealand to be the most trusted source of high value natural products in the world. Join us to help this ambition become a reality.
We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture. We are fair in our behaviour and our policies promote equal opportunity for all. We provide numerous training programmes and opportunities for people to continuously improve their skill sets and keep up to date with global best practices. MPI has a focus on career pathways so this is the first step in your career with us and we will help you grow.
To find out more about the Ministry and what we do please click here
About our Team
MPI's Development and Operations team has identified a permanent opportunity for a talented and dedicated Developer who can participate and own activities such as installing, deploying, configuring, programming, testing and writing documentation.
The Business Technology and Information Services directorate (BTIS) is looking to recruit a Developer to join our Applications team. This vacancy comes at an exciting time as we are looking at bringing in new development and practices to support collaboration across the Ministry for Primary Industries. This means introducing new services, technologies and methods as we upgrade and integrate our platforms.
You will face many new challenges covering our extremely diverse technology stack and learning about the business of growing and protecting New Zealand through biosecurity, food safety, fisheries, forestry and trade.
Our team is rapidly evolving to adapt to changing needs, and to embrace an Agile and DevOps operating model.
About the Role
As a Developer you will cover the gamut of development operations across different applications and platform and working alongside with other Developers, Solution architects, Testers, Business Analyst and the Business to deliver fit-for-purpose software. As a Developer you will be responsible for the software development in the DevOps model that will be setup, ensuring that this is aligned and meets the requirements and expectations of the Organisation. You will ensure that solutions are best of breed, continuously enhanced and can be supported with appropriate build, deployment and operational management capabilities such that they remain operationally supportable, scalable and secure.
You will also be expected to contribute to the overall management of systems within the responsibility of the Development and Operations Group, including ensuring incidents are resolved and services operated within the expectations of the Portfolio Manager and / or their defined SLA's
The technology area for this Developer is detailed in the addendum. However opportunities will exist for work utilising other technologies which are widely in use across our Organisation. This is a role for a self-starter who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment to tight deadlines. Ability to work closely and develop relationships with people both within the team and across the wider business.
In return we can offer you meaningful work with a leading Government Agency that supports flexible working in an inclusive work environment.
We are also recuiting for a Senior Developer, for more information click here
Skills and Experience
Ideally you will have 3 to 5 years of development experience:
- Working in an agile and DevOps environment.
- Being a full stack developer with a Test driven mind-set.
- Front End Developer on build and package management, dependency management, troubleshooting, user experience compliance according to defined standards, coding standards compliance, Security aware development according to defined standards.
- Back End Developer on API development, Micro services, Security aware development according to defined standards, Test driven development, Database Administration and automation
- Working in a cross functional team and doing what it takes to achieve outcomes whether that be the delivery of new capability or supporting existing functions
- Advanced knowledge and experience of the following: configuration management, development methodologies, QA and testing methods, open source software/technologies.
- You'll have worked with DevOps tool-chains for continuous build, integration, packaging and deployment
- Knowledge of a web development environment with experience on DotNetNuke
For more detailed information regarding the role please refer to the position description or contact Ruth Greening on Ruth.Greening@mpi.govt.nz.
For tracking and reporting purposes all applications must be submitted through our online recruitment portal.
Application Close: Wednesday 20 February 2019
MPI is an equal opportunity employer and committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to New Zealand. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career. We actively encourage applications from any background.