Incursion Investigator (Animals) | Wellington - Upper Hutt
|Position Type:||Fixed Term Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Incursion Investigator Animals JD.pdf (PDF, 268KB)
|Application Close Date:||24-Apr-2019|
- Join our Incursion Investigation (Animals) team!
- 1 year fixed term opportunity
- Based in Upper Hutt, Wellington
About the Role:
The Ministry for Primary Industries, New Zealand, Investigation and Diagnostic Centre and Response (Wallaceville) is looking for a veterinarian to join our Incursion Investigation (Animals) team for one year.\
- This is to cover a team member on secondment.
- The team works within the MPI operations branch and is tasked with the early and accurate detection of exotic, new and emerging diseases.
- Core functions are the operational aspects of the investigation, surveillance and response programmes for unwanted organisms affecting animal biosecurity.
- Be responsible for investigations to the point of diagnosis of suspect exotic, new and emerging diseases of animals
- technical advice during investigations and during responses to incursions of unwanted and new organisms
- involvement in eradication and post eradication surveillance for exotic diseases and pests of animals;
- surveillance and response programme project work, including development of exotic disease investigation and surveillance capability, development of surveillance systems
You will have:
- eligibility to reside in New Zealand
- a veterinary degree able to be registered in New Zealand;
- diagnostic, epidemiological and crisis management or emergency management skills, or a keen interest in developing these skills;
- motivation, initiative, flexibility, sound judgement and an aptitude for team work
- good oral and written communication skills.
- preferably a post graduate qualification in epidemiology or pathology although we will consider experienced veterinarians with an interest in these areas.
Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) is responsible for ‘Growing and Protecting New Zealand'. It's no mean feat and we have a team of hard working and dedicated people in a variety of roles supporting us to make this happen. Our overall ambition is for New Zealand to be the most trusted source of high value natural products in the world. Join us to help this ambition become a reality.
We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture. We are fair in our behaviour and our policies promote equal opportunity for all. We provide numerous training programmes and opportunities for people to continuously improve their skill sets and keep up to date with global best practices. MPI has a focus on career pathways so this is the first step in your career with us and we will help you grow.
To find out more about the Ministry and what we do please click here
Benefits of working at MPI include:
- Career development and internal opportunities across the branch and organisation
- Wellness benefit for employeesComprehension one-week MPI Induction Programme
- Purchase of additional annual leave
- Kiwisaver contributions
- Workstation assessment
- Flexible working (e.g. We support work life balance and flexible work arrangements whenever possible)
Drug and Alcohol Screening
Please note, given this position is safety sensitive the preferred applicant/s for the position will be required to undergo a drug and alcohol pre-employment screening test. Further information on this process can be found on our careers site under the application process, on pre-employment checks page.
How to Apply:
To view the position description and/or apply for the role please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
For detailed information on this role please refer to the position description or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 24 April 2019
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
MPI is an equal opportunity employer and committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to New Zealand. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career. We actively encourage applications from any background.