Animal Welfare Inspector
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Compliance Officer Animal Welfare JD 04-2019.docx (Word, 213KB)
|Application Close Date:||21-Apr-2019|
- Do you have a passion for animal welfare?
- Permanent full time position based in Gisborne
- This role will provide you variety in your day, challenges and the opportunity to make a difference on our front line
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) currently has a vacancy for an Animal Welfare Inspector based in Gisborne. As an Animal Welfare Inspector you will be expected to deliver a range of work to ensure animal welfare complaints are managed appropriately. You will require sound legislative knowledge, good problem solving skills and have excellent communication skills.
In this role, you will play a key role in:
- Ensuring investigation processes and procedures are followed
- Managing animal welfare complaints in the primary production sector
- Preparing prosecution files where required
- Monitoring service providers and licensed establishments for compliance with animal welfare
- Working with other Animal Welfare Inspectors and Investigators to prepare and present robust prosecution cases where non-compliance is identified
- Promoting good animal welfare practices
- Building and sustaining positive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
Skills & Experience required:
- Proven experience in working with livestock, animal husbandry or veterinary services.
- Knowledge of farming organisations and external animal welfare agencies
- Practical working knowledge of the laws under which investigations and compliance activities operate is desirable but training will be provided. These include: Animal Welfare Act 1999, NAIT Act, Privacy Act, NZ Bill of Rights, Evidence Act, Criminal Disclosure Act, Criminal Procedures Act, Search and Surveillance Act.
- Relevant tertiary qualification and/or experience in animal husbandry duties.
- If not already held, the successful will need to obtain a NZ Firearms license.
A security clearance classification to the level of Confidential is required for this position. The successful applicant will be required to obtain this clearance. For more information please visit http://www.mfat.govt.nz/About-the-Ministry/Working-for-us/A-guide-to-security-clearances.php
Although this role is primarily an enforcement role, being an animal welfare inspector will allow you to come up with practical solutions to ensure the wellbeing of production animals. This is a role where you can really make a difference however, it is not for the faint hearted.
Please apply online submitting your updated CV and cover letter outlining why this role interests you and how your current skills match what we are looking for.
The successful applicant will be expected to attend modular trainings including an induction course followed by a role specific course totalling approximately five weeks residential training away from home.
For further information about the role, please refer to the attached position description. If you have a question about the recruitment process, contact Elvis Madar, email@example.com.
Applications close Sunday 21st April 2019
MPI is an equal opportunity employer and committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to New Zealand. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career. We actively encourage applications from any background.