Manager Trade Policy | Wellington City
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| L4 Manager Trade Policy FINAL PD.docx (Word, 87KB)
|Application Close Date:||22-Aug-2019|
- Be responsible for MPI's input into trade negotiations and other international organisations and processes, with the overall objective of enhancing returns and removing costs to New Zealand primary sector exports
- In particular, manage MPI staff who participate in World Trade Organisation negotiations and Free Trade Agreement negotiations
- Exciting new Management opportunity within our Policy & Trade branch
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) is responsible for ‘Growing and Protecting New Zealand'. It's no mean feat and we have a team of hard working and passionate people in a variety of roles both on the ground and in the office supporting us to make this happen.
About the team
The Trade Policy team sits within MPI's international policy directorate. The team's members lead MPI's input into free trade agreement negotiations, bilateral agriculture relationships, and other international processes affecting economic returns to the primary sector in New Zealand.
About the role
The Manager, Trade Policy, is a key strategic position. Trade policy is critical to the success of New Zealand's primary sectors, and effectively developing and prosecuting trade policy is a core interest of MPI.
The role is responsible for managing up to ten direct reports. There is a strong development focus, with the Manager having the responsibility of mentoring and guiding staff and ensuring that MPI develops a cadre of skilled trade negotiators familiar with the global rules-based system.
The successful candidate will be expected to travel in support of New Zealand's primary sector objectives but, rather than being MPI's lead trade negotiator, will be expected to effectively deploy their staff and provide strategic direction to them, working with the Director of International Policy amongst other MPI and government leaders.
Relationship management is a critical element of the role, particularly in pressurised situations. The ability to maintain core relationships with other agencies, negotiating partners and external stakeholders is paramount.
To be successful in this role, you will
- Have knowledge of New Zealand's international relationships and what levers are available to New Zealand to improve Market Access;
- Have knowledge and experience with Free Trade Agreements and/or other international negotiations
- Be familiar with the role of the WTO and other international agreements in terms of New Zealand's domestic economy, and the obligations that stem from those.
- Be experienced in managing staff; administrative, financial and personnel systems and processes; and in developing and implementing support systems within government organisations.
- Be able to manage relationships and consult with a variety of external stakeholders; an existing network amongst New Zealand's primary sectors will be an advantage.
- Be familiar with MPI business environment, its strategic priorities, strengths and weaknesses.
- Have experience in leading projects and achieving effective outcomes in situations where there are diverse interests.
- Have proven negotiation, communications and presentation skills, with a sound analytical foundation.
The Manager, Trade Policy provides coordination and linkage between New Zealand's broader trade policy objectives and MPI objectives for relevant domestic policy work. The role also ensures MPI is effectively represented in relevant cross-agency work programmes relating to trade and market access issues that affect the primary sector.
How / why to apply?
Our work stretches all the way from the Beehive to the border. If you want a career in a supportive and hard-working team where you help to grow and protect New Zealand in a very real way then this is it. MPI has a focus on career pathways so this is the first step in your career with us and we will help you grow.
To view the position description and apply for the role, please click on “APPLY NOW” in order to be directed to our website.
If you have any questions about this role, please contact Katrina Minx, Senior Recruitment Advisor on 04 831 4908 or Katrina.email@example.com
Applications close: 22nd August 2019
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.