Solicitor / Senior Solicitor | Wellington City
|Position Type:||Fixed Term Full Time|
|Attachments:|| (Senior) Solicitor (Compensation) PD.pdf (PDF, 520KB)
|Application Close Date:||22-Aug-2019|
- Are you interested in playing a key role in an area of MPI with significant public interest?
- Are you looking for fast paced, meaningful work supporting activities as a result of our response operations?
- This is a fixed term or secondment opportunity until June 2020
About the Role [Kōrero mō te tūranga]
- We are now looking for a Solicitor / Senior Solicitor to join our team. You will be highly motivated and thrive in working in a fast paced, challenging, yet rewarding environment.
- You'll get the chance to work alongside a group of other solicitors as well as a large group of highly motivated and talented individuals. You will have the ability to relate to a wide range of people and stakeholders from all levels and backgrounds.
- The work programme of this group is highly visible and of high public interest. This role will suit you if you can demonstrate sound legal or regulatory experience and be commercially savvy with exceptional analytical skills. You will have a high level of verbal and written communication.
- You will also be a quick learner with experience delivering quality work within deadlines and under pressure. A high level of personal resilience, ownership of planning and prioritisation, and initiative is required to be successful in this role.
- You'll be rewarded with a competitive salary, a supportive team environment as well as the opportunity to develop and hone your legal skills in a large Government environment.
Salary range for this role is $82k to $107k depending on skills and experience.
About the team
At MPI, our Compensation team provides a critical function supporting activities that arise from the exercise of powers by MPI in biosecurity responses, where people and businesses have suffered a loss as a result. For the past year we have been responding to several significant events, the most recent being the response for Mycoplasma bovis. You may already be familiar with the Government's recent decision to attempt a phased approach to eradication, and so we are growing our capacity to respond to the increasing number of compensation claims.
About You [Mōu]
Ideally you will have:
- A legal qualification and practicing certificate is required for this role as is familiarity with government processes, machinery of government and working with legislation.
- Experience in any of New Zealand's primary sectors would be useful but is not necessary.
About MPI [Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua]
Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has a strength of common purpose and a passion to sustainably grow and to protect Aotearoa, for the benefit of all New Zealanders. It's no mean feat and we have a team of hard working and dedicated people in a variety of roles supporting us to make this happen. Our overall ambition is for New Zealand to be the most trusted source of high value natural products in the world. We're working towards sustainability, protection, growth and participation.
How to Apply [Me pēhea te tuku tono]
To view the position description and/or apply for the role please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
For detailed information on this role please refer to the position description or contact email@example.com
Applications close Thursday 22nd August 2019
Note: If you wish to apply for this position as a secondment opportunity, please speak with your current manager in the first instance.
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.