Veterinary Technical Superviser 2 (Veterinarian) | Invercargill
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Veterinary Technical Supervisor 2 Establishment.docx (Word, 362KB)
|Application Close Date:||05-Dec-2021|
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the Role
The purpose of this role within Verification Services (VS) is to provide a range of food safety and biosecurity verification and certification services to support market access strategies and setting standards.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Veterinarian who prides themselves on their ability to communicate and educate others.
The role is varied, and you will be expected to do the following
- Communicate well with internal and external stakeholders
- Complete ante mortem inspections and educate others on post-mortem inspection
- Maintain knowledge within the farming communities and be involved in on farm verification!
- Provide certification for animal meat exports
- Check regulations are being followed to ensure animal welfare
Mō te peka - About the Branch
Reporting to the Team Manager Establishment Invercargill, the role sits within the Establishment group of the Verification Services directorate. MPI Verification Services (MPI VS) provides a range of food safety and biosecurity verification and certification services to support market access strategies and setting standards.
Alliance Lorneville currently processes cattle, ovine, bobby calves and venison.
It is the largest ovine processing facility in the Southern hemisphere and during the peak season runs seven slaughter chains. It operates on two shifts for a good proportion of the year.
The premises is an established Triple O plant and therefore at the forefront of exciting developments in the way operators and MPI Verification Services behave with regard to operator ownership and OMAR compliance.
You will be part of a plant team of four veterinarians, which includes a supportive and experienced VTS1, and a regional team of 18 veterinarians reporting to the Team Manager Establishments for Invercargill.
About the location
The plant is located within easy driving distance of Invercargill - New Zealand's southernmost city with a population of more than 53,000. Invercargill is the capital of Southland.
Invercargill is well-equipped with an excellent range of shops and a selection of lively bars and restaurants. Victorian, Edwardian and Art Deco heritage buildings give the city a charming old-world character.
Ngā Pūkenga me ngā Wheako – Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will:
- Be a Qualified and registered Veterinarian
- Have knowledge of the principles and practices associated with HACCP, Quality Assurance systems, Risk Management Systems
- Have verbal and written skills, verbal, and analytical reasoning skills
- Demonstrate integrity and trust, ethics and values, resilience, adaptability, and openness
- Have experience persuading and influencing, teamwork, planning and organising
- Have computer literacy – can operate standard and customised software to an acceptable standard e.g. word-processing, excel, internet, email, database, secure sites, electronic certification, residues etc
- Understand basic food technology
Ngā hua o te Mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua: - Benefits of working at MPI
- Up to three additional (MPI holidays) leave days
- Joining VS is a gateway to a wider career path within the Ministry for Primary Industries. This is a great entry point opportunity into a dynamic and forward thinking organisation that wants you to achieve your potential.
- If selected, you'll receive six to eight weeks of full-time technical training prior to being warranted under the relevant legislation.
We have ongoing, on-site based practical training, mentoring and technical support for you in your new role.
- You'll be given the opportunity to further develop technical and management skills with a comprehensive in-service training which includes interpersonal and communication skills, as these are critical aspects in this position.
Salary from this role starts from $83,890 progressing with experience to $104,863 per annum plus benefits. Starting salary will be dependent on the successful applicants' skills and experience. In addition to salary we offer overtime and shift allowances.
Whakamātau Whakapōauau me te Waipiro - Drug and Alcohol Screening
Please note, given this position is safety sensitive the preferred applicant/s for the position will be required to undergo a drug and alcohol pre-employment screening test. Further information on this process can be found on our careers site under the application process, on pre-employment checks page.
Me pēhea te tuku tono - How to Apply
To view the position description and/or apply for the role please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online career's portal.
The closing date is 5th December 2021
If you have any questions about the role, please email Maria.email@example.com
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.