Technician/Senior Technician | Wellington - Wallaceville
|Position Type:||Fixed Term Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Senior Technician.pdf (PDF, 437KB)
|Application Close Date:||01-Feb-2022|
Fixed Term: 1 Year
Location: Wellington - Upper Hutt
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the Role
We are looking for a laboratory technician who ideally has some background in both bacteriology and molecular biology and is passionate about protecting New Zealand's primary industries in addition to its native animals. This position is based in the Bacteriology and Aquatic Animal Diseases team within New Zealand's National Animal Health Laboratory, Wallaceville, Upper Hutt.
The 1-year fixed term role will focus on media making, processing of samples, diagnostic testing and general maintenance of the lab and compliance with our quality laboratory standards. You will have the opportunity to be trained and work on our business-as-usual bacteriology and molecular testing, providing professional technical and diagnostic services to support our technicians and scientists.
At the Animal Health Lab (AHL) we provide diagnostic testing for exotic and endemic diseases for the purposes of health certification, surveillance, investigation and response, as well as trade facilitation. The AHL works closely with industries to maximise opportunities for export, improve sector productivity and sustainability of resources and to protect from biological risks. You will be an integral part of the team, contributing to the development of lab processes and diagnostic testing for a wide range of animal diseases.
The successful candidate will work in a dynamic environment where work flexibility is required to respond to the changing needs of the MPI, performing tasks as reasonably required. This role represents an opportunity to contribute to New Zealand's biosecurity and to develop and enhance your scientific skills and expertise.
Key responsibilities include:
- Media preparation
- Processing of samples
- Diagnostic testing, including molecular and classical bacteriology.
- Works to maintain the laboratory and its capability
Mōu - About You
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with an applicable biological sciences degree or equivalent. Experience in quality-assured animal health diagnostics will be an advantage.
Our ideal candidate will have
- Experience with molecular diagnostic techniques
- Experience with classical bacteriology
- Understanding of laboratory biocontainment guidelines
- An excellent technical track record
- Be an effective communicator
- Is able to learn quickly and enjoy working in a supportive team environment.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
The Ministry for Primary Industries is helping to seize export opportunities for our primary industries, improve sector productivity, ensure the food we produce is safe, increase sustainable resource use, and protect New Zealand from biological risk.
To find out more about the Ministry and what we do please click here
Ngā hua o te Mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua: - Benefits of working at MPI
- Up to three additional (MPI holidays) leave days
- Career development and internal opportunities across the branch and organisation
- Wellness benefit for employees
- Comprehensive one-week MPI Induction Programme
- Parental leave ex-gratia payment
- Bi-annual MPI-paid eye test and contribution to the costs of corrective lenses/frames
The salary range for this role is G/H: $50,000 to $77,000 depending on skills, capabilities, and experience
Ngā Taki Whakahaumaru - Security checks
Low level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen, who has resided continuously in NZ for at least the last five (5) years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last five (5) years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, the United Kingdom (UK), Ireland or the United States of America (USA); and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZ Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at this level.
- click here to find out more about the national security vetting process and access the eligibility self-check tool.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Whakamātau Whakapōauau me te Waipiro - Drug and Alcohol Screening
Please note, given this position is safety sensitive the preferred applicant/s for the position will be required to undergo a drug and alcohol pre-employment screening test. Further information on this process can be found on our careers site under the application process, on pre-employment checks page.
To join a diverse and interesting organisation that offers a wide range of career opportunities click on our link below!
Me pēhea te tuku tono - How to Apply
To view the position description and/or apply for the role please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it - click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Please be advised that due to the Covid-19 virus interviews may be held via Teams/Skype. MPI is keeping close watch on advice from the Ministry of Health, keeping our staff and candidate's safe is our top priority. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with the relevant Talent Acquisition Adviser if you have any questions.
The closing date is 1 February 2022
If you have any questions about the role, please email Conrad Cheung at firstname.lastname@example.org who will point you in the right direction.
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.