Veterinarian (Supervisor) | Wellington City
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:||No File Attached|
|Application Close Date:||24-Aug-2022|
Location: North Island, Wellington
Salary: From $109,199 progressing to $136,499 per annum plus additional benefits. Starting salary will be dependent on skills and experience of the successful applicant
Role type: Full time, Permanent
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the Role
Are you looking for your next career move as a veterinary verifier? If yes, then we have an upcoming vacancy for a Supervising Veterinarian (VTS1) at ME86, Taylor Preston Ltd.
Wellington is an exciting city with easy travel from surrounding towns and suburbs. Culturally there is no city in New Zealand the equal of Wellington, with many and varied opportunities for sport and recreation.
With the MPI head office also in Wellington, this location can provide further opportunities for staff both within Verification Services and wider MPI.
ME86 processes adult cattle, sheep and goats over 2 shifts, Monday to Friday. There is regular overtime (Saturday processing). A single shift typically operates during July – October. The operator is working towards a Optimising Operator Ownership model (Triple O)
The two shifts are covered by the VTS1 plus two VTS2 positions with enough overlap to allow some flexibility to be off-site.
The VTS1 works predominately on the middle shift and will rotate to the early or nightshift in accordance with MPIVS business rules.
Within this role you will be expected to:
- Ensure that official assurances issued for export products are valid and withstand third party reviews through audit and verification of the operators and their processes using optimising operator ownership (triple o) principles. This will include ensuring the operators put into place timely and effective corrective and preventative actions. You will then confirm these are implemented robustly via follow up verification and be involved in obtaining dispositions. If not, you will intervene or apply sanctions as necessary.
- Responsibly manage the workload for the VS team
- You will need to recognise workloads and ensure that tasks are completed accurately and in a timely manner.
- You will ensure efficient use of resources and hours.
- You will also need to be able to work successfully with & support the regional MPI team, as well as the wider MPI team such as the technical team and other external stakeholders such as farmers.
- You will need to work with operator personnel of different levels from plant manager to frontline staff and will be able to tailor your communication with them effectively.
- Attend and facilitate internal, external and market access reviews. Demonstrate the process to these reviewers and facilitate, in conjunction with the operator and MPI, resolution of any review findings.
Ngā Pūkenga me ngā Wheako – Skills & Experience
- A qualified and registered Veterinarian
- Experience as an establishment VTS
- Knowledge of the principles and practices associated with HACCP, Quality Assurance systems, Risk Management Systems
- Verbal and written skills, analytical reasoning skills
- Experience in people managing and having a creative approach to resolving issues
- Experience of demonstrating resilience and working under pressure and managing stakeholder relationships
- Persuading and influencing, teamwork, planning and organising
- Computer literacy – can operate standard and customised software to an acceptable standard e.g. word-processing, excel, internet, email, database, secure sites, electronic certification, residues etc
Ahurea - Culture
We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture. We are fair in our behaviour and our policies promote equal opportunity for all. We provide numerous training programmes and opportunities for people to continuously improve their skill sets and keep up to date with global best practices. MPI has a focus on career pathways so this is the first step in your career with us and we will help you grow.
Whakamātau Whakapōauau me te Waipiro - Drug and Alcohol Screening
Please note, given this position is safety sensitive the preferred applicant/s for the position will be required to undergo a drug and alcohol pre-employment screening test. Further information on this process can be found on our careers site under the application process, on pre-employment checks page
Me pēhea te tuku tono - How to Apply
To view the position description and/or apply for the role please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
The closing date is midnight 24 August 2022
If you have any questions about the role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.