Scientist | Auckland Landcare Research
|Position Type:||Fixed Term Full Time|
|Attachments:|| PHEL Scientist position description June 2022.pdf (PDF, 200KB)
|Application Close Date:||14-Oct-2022|
Role type: Fixed-Term, Full-Time
Salary range: $68,781 to $93,056 depending on skills and experience
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the Role
The Ministry for Primary Industries' Plant Health and Environment Laboratory (PHEL) in Auckland has a 3.5 year fixed-term vacancy for a Scientist. You'll provide diagnostic and advisory services for plant pathogens collected during surveillance and investigation activities or intercepted at the border.
Core duties include:
- Delivery of diagnostics via investigation, border, surveillance, and post entry quarantine samples.
- Scientific analysis, reporting and advice on diagnostic test data.
- Technical advice on plant pathogen diagnostics and biology.
- Validation of new-to-New Zealand plant pathogen detections.
- Validation or development and implementation of new diagnostic molecular assays as appropriate.
- Contribute to the ISO17025 Quality Management System.
Mōu - About You
The ideal candidate would have an appropriate post graduate qualification in plant pathology or microbiology as well as the following criteria:
- Good understanding of the major groups of plant and environmental pathogens.
- A strong knowledge of plant health diagnosis and molecular biology is essential.
- Experience with aspects of the identification, biology and control of high impact exotic pests
- Understanding of project management principles
- Proven track record demonstrating initiative, technical aptitude, sound judgement, flexibility, ability to cope under pressure and an ability to work in a team environment
- Good written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Capacity to plan work in line with priorities and coordinate work activities independently
- Computer literacy
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
Our role includes seizing export opportunities for our food and fibre sector, improving sector productivity, ensuring the food we produce is safe, increasing sustainable resource use, and protecting New Zealand from biological risk.
Mō tō mātou rōpū - About the Team
PHEL is the national reference centre for the identification of all suspected exotic, new and emerging pests and diseases of plants, and arthropod pests affecting the environment and provides diagnostic services to primary industries to facilitate trade. The laboratory is accredited to ISO 17025.
Our team is dedicated, diverse and highly supportive that operates in a busy and varied environment to deliver our core work programme supporting New Zealand's biosecurity system and our stakeholders.
Ngā hua o te Mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua - Benefits of working at MPI
- Up to three additional (MPI holidays) leave days
- Wellness benefit for employees
- Reduced premiums for Group Healthcare Schemes
Wā Mahi Ngāwari - Flexible Working
We support work life balance and flexible work arrangements. If you're interested, we are open to discussing flexible working options with you.
Me pēhea te tuku tono - How to Apply
To view the position description and/or apply online, please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site.
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Applications close at midnight on 14 October 2022.
If you have any questions about the role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.