Senior Scientist - Molecular & Bioinformatics | Auckland Landcare Research
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Scientist and Senior PHEL DSS Operations 2020.doc (Word, 409KB)
|Application Close Date:||21-Aug-2022|
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Permanent - Full time
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the Role
The Ministry for Primary Industries' Plant Health and Environment Laboratory (PHEL) in Auckland has an opportunity for a Senior Molecular scientist with Bioinformatic skills to provide molecular and bioinformatics expertise to the Entomology Team. The Molecular Scientist would support the Entomology team in the development and implementation of infrastructure, molecular processes and tools for fast & efficient identification of native and exotic invertebrates affecting plants and environment and will also support analysis and interpretation of High Thorough-put Sequencing (HTS) data.
In this role some of the key focus areas will be:
- Implementing innovative concepts, tools and techniques in molecular Biology related to the invertebrate diagnostic capability development, analysis, integration and processing of high-throughput sequence data
- Proactively working with others to maximise the benefits of the technologies
- Performing laboratory components of assay developments
- Publishing high quality peer reviewed scientific, technical and policy papers
- Providing coaching and training in molecular biology & bioinformatics to other MPI staff
- Maintaining and enhancing our international standing in the scientific community
- Maintaining and enhancing our network of national and international laboratory collaborators
- Maintaining, developing and strengthening relationships with key stakeholders in New Zealand and internationally, including industry, Maori, government and non-government agencies to support our goals.
- Increasing MPI's knowledge of new science, technologies and innovations though developing and maintaining relationships with key science and technology providers.
The salary range for this role is D: from 92k to – 124k based on skill, capabilities, and experience.
Mōu - About You
We are seeking highly motivated individuals with appropriate tertiary education (PhD or post-graduate degree with relevant technical experience). You will have experience in developing molecular assays, developing laboratory workflow for process improvement and in bioinformatics preparing pipelines and programming and data analysis. Our ideal candidate will be a team player with excellent communication skills, leadership ability, initiative, and sound judgment with an ability to think outside of the square.
Preference will be given to applicants with broad molecular biology skills with Bioinformatics, who have worked within a quality environment, have proven planning and organisational skills, project management skills and is able to prioritise under pressure and adapt to changing demands.
Mō tō mātou rōpū - About the Team
PHEL is the national reference centre for the identification of all suspected exotic, new and emerging pests and diseases of plants, and arthropod pests affecting the environment and provides diagnostic services to primary industries to facilitate trade. The laboratory is accredited to ISO 17025.
Our team is dedicated, diverse and highly supportive that operates in a busy and varied environment to deliver our core work programme supporting New Zealand's biosecurity system and our stakeholders. This role will offer you the variety and the challenge to develop and enhance your scientific leadership skills through providing direction, mentoring and supervision whilst driving innovation that will shape our future way of working.
Me pēhea te tuku tono - How to Apply
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click “APPLY NOW”. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Sherly George, Team Manager, Entomology for a confidential discussion at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for this role will not be accepted after 5 pm on 21 August 2022.
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to offering a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you grow your career here in New Zealand and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can help you through the recruitment process.