Team Manager Aquatic Animal Diseases | Wellington - Wallaceville
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Team Managers Animal Health Lab 20220922.pdf (PDF, 216KB)
|Application Close Date:||13-Feb-2023|
Role type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Wallaceville, Upper Hutt
Salary range: $109,626 to $148,318 depending on skills and experience
Kōrero mō te Tūranga - About the Role
Our Animal Health Laboratory (AHL) is looking for an experienced people leader and science professional to lead our new Aquatic Animal Diseases team.
As the Team Manager Aquatic Animal Diseases, you'll have responsibility for the formation of a new team, who will be providing strategic scientific services to a growing industry.
You'll head up a team of leading experts in veterinary disease diagnosis, and ensure the work delivered by the team meets required standards for scientific excellence, quality and timeliness.
If you've got previous experience leading skilled people to achieve quality results, as well as a high level of scientific skills and experience, we'd love to hear from you!
Secondments and fixed term options will be considered.
Mōu - About You
Our ideal candidate would have:
- Minimum of a post-graduate university qualification (preferably a PhD) in a relevant biological science.
- Experience in developing and leading laboratory programmes, projects and processes.
- Experience in staff supervision and development.
- Experience managing team resources to ensure the delivery of high quality investigation, analysis and research.
- Knowledge and experience of laboratory health and safety, quality and management systems and of accreditation standards.
Our Animal Health Laboratory is a high-containment PC3+ facility, so the ability to work within the requirements of our biocontainment and biosecurity procedures is essential.
Mō tō mātou Rōpū - About the Team
Our Diagnostic and Surveillance Services (DSS) directorate are the guardians of Aotearoa New Zealand's biosecurity. We run a number of targeted and passive biosecurity surveillance programmes at any one time, identifying new pests and diseases that make it past our borders, providing research and analysis on their impact, and supporting eradication where we can. Our laboratory programmes aren't just national – we also work with international partners to monitor biosecurity threats.
One of our greatest assets is our people. We've got a team of highly qualified, passionate science professionals who get to work on an extensive range of organisms and projects. With employees from over 20 different countries, DSS is one of the most diverse, welcoming spaces in MPI.
Then there's our facilities. Our design-award winning Wallaceville biocontainment laboratory is one of the newest, most advanced biocontainment labs in the world. Opened in 2021, it's the most complex building in New Zealand. All our labs are reference labs, so you can expect to be challenged by complex diagnostic investigations. We are seeking highly qualified people - critical thinkers solving dynamic problems. You'll work on challenging, interesting and unusual cases – providing ample opportunities for professional growth and development.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
Our role includes seizing export opportunities for our food and fibre sector, improving sector productivity, ensuring the food we produce is safe, increasing sustainable resource use, and protecting New Zealand from biological risk.
Ngā hua o te mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua - Benefits of working at MPI
- Up to three additional (MPI holidays) leave days
- Work amongst some of the best scientific minds in the country
- Work from one of the most technologically advanced biocontainment laboratories in the world
Wā Mahi Ngāwari - Flexible Working
We support flexible working arrangements and are happy to discuss these options with you.
Ngā Taki Whakahaumaru - Security checks
Low level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen, who has resided continuously in NZ for at least the last five (5) years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last five (5) years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, the United Kingdom (UK) or the United States of America (USA); and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZ Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at this level.
- click here to find out more about the national security vetting process and access the eligibility self-check tool.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Whakamātau Whakapōauau me te Waipiro - Drug and Alcohol Screening
Please note, given this position is safety sensitive the preferred applicant/s for the position will be required to undergo a drug and alcohol pre-employment screening test. Further information on this process can be found on our careers site under the application process, on pre-employment checks page.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi whaitake? - Are you ready to make a difference?
We are committed to being a good partner under Te Tiriti o Waitangi which includes working closely with iwi, hapū, whanau and hāpori.
We aspire to reflect the diverse communities we serve, so we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, and identities. As an organisation, we are committed to making Manatū Ahu Matua a great place to work for all.
In your cover letter we'd like to know about you, your values, your whakapapa; your interest and motivations for this role; the abilities, strengths, personal attributes and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation, which may have also been gained outside of the workforce.
To view the position description and/or apply online, please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. To apply, you must hold the right to work in New Zealand – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Applications close at midnight on 16 January 2023.
If you have any questions about the role, please email email@example.com
Whāia ngā tūhononga ki MPI i konei – Follow MPI here