Scientist - Mycology & Nematology | Auckland Landcare Research
|Position Type:||Fixed Term Full Time|
|Attachments:|| PHEL Scientist and Senior Scientist 1_11_2022.pdf (PDF, 245KB)
|Application Close Date:||10-Feb-2023|
Role type: Fixed Term, Full-Time (until August 2024)
Salary range: $68,781 to $80,918 depending on skills and experience
Kōrero mō te Tūranga - About the Role
The Ministry for Primary Industries' Plant Health and Environment Laboratory (PHEL) in Auckland has had an opportunity open up for a skilled science professional to join us on a fixed term basis until August 2024. You'll provide diagnostic and advisory services for plant pathogens collected during surveillance and investigation activities or intercepted at the border.
Core duties include:
- Delivery of diagnostics via investigation, border, surveillance, and post entry quarantine samples.
- Scientific analysis, reporting and advice on diagnostic test data.
- Technical advice on plant pathogen diagnostics and biology.
- Validation of new-to-New Zealand plant pathogen detections.
- Validation or development and implementation of new diagnostic molecular assays as appropriate.
- Contribute to the ISO17025 Quality Management System.
Mōu - About You
The ideal candidate would have an appropriate post graduate qualification in plant pathology or microbiology as well as the following criteria:
- Good understanding of the major groups of plant and environmental pathogens.
- A strong knowledge of plant health diagnosis and molecular biology is essential.
- Experience with aspects of the identification, biology and control of high impact exotic pests
- Understanding of project management principles
- Proven track record demonstrating initiative, technical aptitude, sound judgement, flexibility, ability to cope under pressure and an ability to work in a team environment
- Good written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Capacity to plan work in line with priorities and coordinate work activities independently
- Computer literacy
Mō tō mātou Rōpū - About the Team
PHEL is the national reference centre for the identification of all suspected exotic, new and emerging pests and diseases of plants, and arthropod pests affecting the environment and provides diagnostic services to primary industries to facilitate trade. The laboratory is accredited to ISO 17025.
Our team is dedicated, diverse and highly supportive that operates in a busy and varied environment to deliver our core work programme supporting New Zealand's biosecurity system and our stakeholders.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
Our role includes seizing export opportunities for our food and fibre sector, improving sector productivity, ensuring the food we produce is safe, increasing sustainable resource use, and protecting New Zealand from biological risk.
Ngā hua o te mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua - Benefits of working at MPI
- Additional MPI leave days
- Comprehensive 3-day MPI Induction Programme
- Work amongst some of the best scientific minds in Aotearoa
Wā Mahi Ngāwari - Flexible Working
We support flexible working arrangements and are happy to discuss these options with you.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi whaitake? - Are you ready to make a difference?
We are committed to being a good partner under Te Tiriti o Waitangi which includes working closely with iwi, hapū, whanau and hāpori.
We aspire to reflect the diverse communities we serve, so we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, and identities. As an organisation, we are committed to making Manatū Ahu Matua a great place to work for all.
In your cover letter we'd like to know about you, your values, your whakapapa; your interest and motivations for this role; the abilities, strengths, personal attributes and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation, which may have also been gained outside of the workforce.
To view the position description and/or apply online, please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. To apply, you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Applications close at midnight on 10 February 2023.
If you have any questions about the role, please email email@example.com