Veterinarian | Whanganui
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Veterinary Technical Supervisor 2 Establishment.docx (Word, 361KB)
|Application Close Date:||11-Jun-2023|
Job Title: Veterinarian based at ANZCO Foods Eltham
Role type: Permanent Full-Time
Salary range: $88,440 to $110,550 depending on skills and experience
Kōrero mō te Tūranga - About the Role
The purpose of this role within New Zealand Food Safety Verification Services is to provide a range of food safety, animal welfare and biosecurity verification and certification services based at meat exporting plants. To support the meat industry and New Zealand's reputation in the world red meat market for the product produced and to ensure food safety and export standards are being followed by the plant.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who enjoys problem solving and enhancing their relationships with others with effective communication. The role is well supported and would be ideal for someone wanting an introduction to working for MPI or looking for experience having recently graduated with a Bachelor of Veterinary Science. The role would also be expected to support the wider regional team initiatives, which gives opportunities to experience other parts of MPI business.
The role is varied, and your days will be filled with the following:
- Collaborate well with internal and external stakeholders, such as meat works personnel, Veterinary colleagues/VS team.
- Verify that requirements and procedures are being followed
- Provide certification for animal meat exports
- Complete ante mortem inspections and occasionally provide judgement on post-mortem inspection
- Maintain knowledge within the farming communities and be involved in on farm verification
- Ensure animal welfare is being maintained.
You will receive six to eight weeks of full-time technical training prior to being warranted under the relevant legislation. We have ongoing, on-site training, mentoring and technical support for you in your new role.
Mō te peka - About the Branch
This role is based in the Taranaki, based at the ANZCO Riverlands Eltham premises, within Whanganui Establishments team. This role will work alongside one other VTS2 and would report to the Lead Veterinary Technical Supervisor on-site. The Eltham plant is a multi-shift export beef plant, that also processes bobby calves for a limited season in spring. The role may also support the neighbouring Hawera plant at certain times of the year, which has a similar processing profile.
Taranaki is an award-winning tourist destination, with stunning beaches & natural landscapes, great communities and facilities. New Plymouth has a great arts scene & Taranaki is also renowned for its sporting pedigree. Eltham is 15mins from Hawera (Taranaki's second largest centre) on Taranaki's southern coast & 10mins from Stratford. It also an easy commute to New Plymouth (43mins) & Whanganui (1hr 20mins). Further afield you are just over 2hrs from Palmerston North and around 4 hrs from either Hamilton or Wellington.
Mōu - About You
We are looking for someone who is adaptable and can thrive in a complex and sometimes ambiguous environment. The ideal person will be able to think creatively, prioritise work, and is excited to learn new skills.
To be successful in this role:
- Be a New Zealand registered Veterinarian (or be able to obtain registration with VCNZ);
- Have verbal and written skills, and analytical reasoning skills;
- Computer literacy – can operate standard and customised software to an acceptable standard (e.g., word-processing, excel, internet, email, database, secure sites, electronic certification, residues etc.)
- An understanding of basic food technology or quality assurance principles would be an advantage but not essential
You do not need to meet all of the role requirements to apply, however you do need to be a qualified veterinarian. We offer a breadth of development and learning opportunities and will welcome an application if you think you could make a great fit.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
- The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) partners with New Zealand's food and fibre sector to be the world's most sustainable provider of high-value food and primary products.
- Watch some of our team describe why they love the role that they are in and their journey into a career with Verification Services – Click Here
Ngā hua o te mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua - Benefits of working at MPI
- Wellness benefit for employees including reduced premiums for Group Healthcare Schemes;
- Membership of the NZVA or appropriate alternative;
- Annual payment for the Annual practicing certificate.
- Career development and internal opportunities across the branch and organisation
Whakamātau Whakapōauau me te Waipiro - Drug and Alcohol Screening
Please note, given this position is safety sensitive the preferred applicant/s for the position will be required to undergo a drug and alcohol pre-employment screening test. Further information on this process can be found on our careers site under the application process, on pre-employment checks page.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi whaitake? - Are you ready to make a difference?
We are committed to being a good partner under Te Tiriti o Waitangi which includes working closely with iwi, hapū, whanau and hāpori.
We aspire to reflect the diverse communities we serve, so we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, and identities. As an organisation, we are committed to making Manatū Ahu Matua a great place to work for all.
In your cover letter we'd like to know about you, your values, your whakapapa; your interest and motivations for this role; the abilities, strengths, personal attributes and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation, which may have also been gained outside of the workforce.
To view the position description and/or apply online, please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. To apply, you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Applications close at midnight on Sunday 11th June.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Louise Devine on our Talent Acquisition Team - Louise.Devine@mpi.govt.nz
Whāia ngā tūhononga ki MPI i konei – Follow MPI here
Links to Facebook, MPI Careers, LinkedIn, Twitter