Market Access Counsellor - Policy & Trade | Wellington City
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Market Access Counsellor - PD.docx (Word, 106KB)
|Application Close Date:||05-Apr-2023|
Counsellor Market Access
Role type: Full-Time, Permanent
Salary range: $109,626 to $ $148,318 depending on skills and experience
Ma tau rourou, ma taku rourou, ka ora te iwi (with your contribution and my contribution the people will prosper)
- Are you looking for career growth in a role with international focus?
- Do you want to apply your technical knowledge, regulatory experience, and cultural awareness in a field that makes a real difference for our export primary sectors?
- We have a vacancy in the Market Access Directorate for a Market Access Counsellor in the South-East Asia and Oceania Market Access team.
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the role
You will take responsibility as a market lead in your assigned team to address technical market access issues, manage relationships with New Zealand and offshore stakeholders and lead technical negotiations with overseas governments on the regulatory access conditions for New Zealand's primary products and food exports.
Mōu - About You
To be successful you should have:
- A significant level of technical and professional knowledge of primary product and food export and related issues
- Prior experience leading market access or negotiations with overseas competent authorities
- Knowledge and experience related to primary product or food production and export; food or biosecurity regulatory systems
- Established trusted relationships with stakeholders
- Experience analysing information; and providing high quality and timely reports.
- A degree relevant to veterinary science, food safety, biosecurity, or trade negotiations.
You will also need to be able to obtain a New Zealand government security clearance (a minimum of Confidential) – check out your eligibility online
Please note that appointments are made to the Market Access Directorate rather than individual teams as this provides flexibility for staff to transfer easily between any of the market access teams and provides for staff to undertake work of a cross-directorate nature when required.
Mō tō mātou rōpū - About our team
The MPI Market Access Directorate's role is to maximise export opportunities for New Zealand's primary product and food sectors. We utilise our network of roles in Aotearoa and offshore to negotiate, maintain, and service technical importing country requirements for New Zealand's $47 billion primary industry exports.
The work is dynamic and requires people who like a challenge, have strong communication skills and work well as part of a team. If you are interested in utilising your technical and regulatory skills to grow and develop a career with an international flavour this role could be for you.
Check out our Market Access Kotahi page for more information about what we do.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) partners with New Zealand's food and fibre sector to be the world's most sustainable provider of high-value food and primary products.
Ngā hua o te mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua - Benefits of working at MPI
- Additional MPI leave days
- Annual Wellness payment
- Career development and internal opportunities across the branch and organisation
To see the benefits of working at MPI, please click here.
Wā Mahi Ngāwari - Flexible Working
We support flexible working arrangements and are happy to discuss these options with you.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi whaitake? - Are you ready to make a difference?
We are committed to being a good partner under Te Tiriti o Waitangi which includes working closely with iwi, hapū, whanau and hāpori. We aspire to reflect the diverse communities we serve, so we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, and identities. As an organisation, we are committed to making Manatū Ahu Matua a great place to work for all.
In your cover letter we'd like to know about you, your values, your whakapapa; your interest and motivations for this role; the abilities, strengths, personal attributes and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation, which may have also been gained outside of the workforce.
To view the position description and/or apply online, please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. To apply, you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Applications close at midnight on Wednesday 5th April 2023
If you have any questions about the role, please email If you have any questions about this role, please contact Jim Sim, Manager Market Access (South-East Asia and Oceania). On Jim.Sim@mpi.govt.nz or Senior Talent Adviser firstname.lastname@example.org
Whāia ngā tūhononga ki MPI i konei – Follow MPI here
Links to Facebook, MPI Careers, LinkedIn, Twitter