Senior Policy Analyst (Fixed term) | Wellington City
|Position Type:||Fixed Term Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst JD.docx (Word, 92KB)
|Application Close Date:||28-May-2023|
Senior Policy Analyst – Green House Gas Inventory
Role type: Fixed Term 12 months
Salary range: $96,073 to $128,570 depending on skills and experience.
Kōrero mō te Tūranga - About the Role
You will help to fulfil New Zealand's international climate change reporting commitments, and track progress towards our emission reduction targets.
This role will be responsible for:
- Modelling agriculture greenhouse gas emissions to assist policy development for MPI and other government agencies.
- Engaging with industry, researchers, and government to improve understanding of land use, forestry and agriculture emissions in New Zealand.
- Working with researchers, scientists and industry to improve the accuracy of our emissions reporting.
- Developing capability and building knowledge on GHG emissions within MPI.
Mōu - About You
We are seeking an enthusiastic team member who can help with the following:
- Working with spreadsheets, complex models and statistical programming languages such as R.
- Engaging with industry, researchers, and government to develop research priorities for agriculture, forestry and land use emissions reporting.
- Developing projections of future land use and GHG emissions from agriculture.
- Management of technical content for emissions reporting research.
A relevant degree in mathematics, statistics, physics, ecology, geography, biological sciences, chemistry, agriculture or forestry would be helpful, as would an interest in climate change.
Mō tō mātou Rōpū - About the Team
The Greenhouse Gas Reporting, Inventory and Projections team at MPI is responsible for reporting New Zealand's past, present, and future greenhouse gas emissions from land use (including forestry) and agriculture.
The agriculture sector is responsible for half of New Zealand's gross emissions, and the forestry sector currently offsets 1/3rd of New Zealand's gross emissions. Because of this the GHG Inventory and projections team plays a major role in the reporting of New Zealand's overall GHG emissions. The information provided by our team is essential for ensuring New Zealand can meet its climate change goals.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) partners with New Zealand's food and fibre sector to be the world's most sustainable provider of high-value food and primary products.
Ngā hua o te mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua - Benefits of working at MPI
- Additional MPI leave days
- Annual Wellness payment
- Career development and internal opportunities across the branch and organisation
Wā Mahi Ngāwari - Flexible Working
We support flexible working arrangements and are happy to discuss these options with you.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi whaitake? - Are you ready to make a difference?
We are committed to being a good partner under Te Tiriti o Waitangi which includes working closely with iwi, hapū, whanau and hāpori.
We aspire to reflect the diverse communities we serve, so we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, and identities. As an organisation, we are committed to making Manatū Ahu Matua a great place to work for all.
In your cover letter we'd like to know about you, your values, your whakapapa; your interest and motivations for this role; the abilities, strengths, personal attributes and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation, which may have also been gained outside of the workforce.
To view the position description and/or apply online, please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. To apply, you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Applications close at midnight on Sunday 28th May 2023
If you have any questions about the role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Whāia ngā tūhononga ki MPI i konei – Follow MPI here
Links to Facebook, MPI Careers, LinkedIn, Twitter