Technician | Wellington - Wallaceville
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Technician - Senior Technician DSS - PD.pdf (PDF, 216KB)
|Application Close Date:||28-May-2023|
Role type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Wallaceville, Upper Hutt
Salary range: $60,331 to $70,977 depending on skills and experience
Kōrero mō te Tūranga - About the Role
We have an exciting opportunity to join our Immunology Team as a Technician on a permanent basis.
Our Technicians have a core role in running diagnostics in our Animal Health Laboratory (AHL) - New Zealand's national diagnostic testing lab. You'll work within our PC2 and PC3+ laboratories, providing efficient, effective testing that contributes to New Zealand's biosecurity and international trade.
We'd like to hear from you if you are a Technician looking for your next move!
Mōu - About You
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- BSc or equivalent in a biological science
- Knowledge and experience in various serological diagnostic tests
- An understanding and desire to learn molecular diagnostic techniques
- Ability to work within the constraints of, and follow the procedures used in our PC2 and PC3+ containment laboratories
- A track record of demonstrating initiative, technical aptitude, sound judgement
Mō tō mātou Rōpū - About the Team
The immunology team fits within the Diagnostic and Surveillance Services (DSS) directorate. We work as guardians of Aotearoa New Zealand's biosecurity. We run a number of targeted and passive biosecurity surveillance programmes at any one time, identifying new pests and diseases that make it past our borders, providing research and analysis on their impact, and supporting eradication where we can. Our surveillance programmes aren't just national – we also work with international partners to monitor biosecurity threats.
One of our greatest assets is our people. We've got a team of highly qualified, passionate science professionals whose work positively impacts international trade and our biosecurity. With employees from over 20 different countries, DSS is one of the most diverse, welcoming spaces in MPI. We have the best, highest qualified people - critical thinkers solving dynamic problems. You'll work on challenging, interesting and unusual cases – often things that are so new to biosecurity that no one else is working on them.
Then there's our facilities. We've got the highest post-entry quarantine level laboratory in NZ. Our design-award winning laboratory, opened in 2021, is one of the newest, most advanced biocontainment facilities in the world, which allows. our teams to work on complex cases, not standard diagnostic lab activities.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
Our role includes seizing export opportunities for our food and fibre sector, improving sector productivity, ensuring the food we produce is safe, increasing sustainable resource use, and protecting New Zealand from biological risk.
Ngā hua o te mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua - Benefits of working at MPI
- Comprehensive 3-day MPI Induction Programme
- Career development and internal opportunities across the branch and organisation
- Work amongst some of the best scientific minds in the country
Wā Mahi Ngāwari - Flexible Working
We support flexible working arrangements and are happy to discuss these options with you.
Ngā Taki Whakahaumaru - Security checks
Low level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen, who has resided continuously in NZ for at least the last five (5) years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last five (5) years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, the United Kingdom (UK) or the United States of America (USA); and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZ Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at this level.
- click here to find out more about the national security vetting process and access the eligibility self-check tool.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Whakamātau Whakapōauau me te Waipiro - Drug and Alcohol Screening
Please note, given this position is safety sensitive the preferred applicant/s for the position will be required to undergo a drug and alcohol pre-employment screening test. Further information on this process can be found on our careers site under the application process, on pre-employment checks page.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi whaitake? - Are you ready to make a difference?
We are committed to being a good partner under Te Tiriti o Waitangi which includes working closely with iwi, hapū, whanau and hāpori.
We aspire to reflect the diverse communities we serve, so we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, and identities. As an organisation, we are committed to making Manatū Ahu Matua a great place to work for all.
In your cover letter we'd like to know about you, your values, your whakapapa; your interest and motivations for this role; the abilities, strengths, personal attributes and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation, which may have also been gained outside of the workforce.
To view the position description and/or apply online, please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. To apply, you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Applications close at midnight on Sunday 28 May 2023.
If you have any questions about the role, please email George.Petherick@mpi.govt.nz
Whāia ngā tūhononga ki MPI i konei – Follow MPI here
Links to Facebook, MPI Careers, LinkedIn, Twitter